Dr. Nicolas Hart is a Senior Research Fellow for the Cancer Council of Western Australia (CCWA) at the Exercise Medicine Research Institute (EMRI) situated within the School of Medical and Health Science (SMHS) at Edith Cowan University; and research member of the Australian Centre for Research into Injury in Sport and its Prevention (ACRISP).
Dr Nicolas Hart, PhD, AES, CSCS, ESSAM is a Senior Research Fellow for the Cancer Council of Western Australia at the Exercise Medicine Research Institute (an NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence) and an accredited exercise scientist, named 'WA Young Tall Poppy of the Year' (Australian Institute of Policy and Sciences, 2017) and ‘Exercise Scientist of the Year’ (Exercise and Sport Science Australia, 2014). He is also a research member of ACRISP (an International Olympic Committee (IOC) Centre of Research Excellence).
Dr Hart’s clinical oncology work focuses on the ability of exercise to change tumour biology, and attenuate tumour formation, growth and invasion in primary and secondary carcinomas. He currently leads a series of world-first trials in humans, examining the suppressive and regressive effects of exercise on tumour morphology, tumour vasculature and tumour biomarkers in secondary carcinomas of advanced prostate and breast cancer patients with sclerotic and osteolytic bone metastatic lesions; with studies funded by Cancer Council of Western Australia, National Breast Cancer Foundation and Movember Foundation. Dr Hart is the Global Exercise Coordinator, and Co-Chair of the Protocol Amendment Review Committee for the Movember GAP4 (INTERVAL-MCRPC) trial - (the largest exercise trial in prostate cancer worldwide; investigating exercise and overall survival); and the National Exercise Coordinator for the Movember TrueNTH Australia trial - (the provision of local and remote delivery of exercise as medicine to prostate cancer patients across metropolitan and regional Australia).
Dr Hart is also a founding member of the Western Australian Bone Research Collaboration (WABRC): a cross-institutional and multidisciplinary team of researchers and clinicians investigating bone health and disease. Dr Hart continues to research in high performance sport, and is a consultant sport scientist to the West Coast Eagles (AFL), Fremantle Dockers (AFL), Western Force (Rugby Union) and Perth Glory (Soccer) sporting teams, providing input towards, and assisting in the prevention and management of stress-related bone injuries; stratify musculoskeletal injury risk; and provide a broad range of sport science services on request.
- 2018: Senior Research Fellow, Cancer Council of Western Australia
- 2018: Senior Research Fellow, Australian Centre for Research into Injury in Sport and its Prevention
- 2017: Senior Research Fellow, Exercise Medicine Research Institute, Edith Cowan University.
- 2017: Adjunct Research Fellow, Institute of Health Research, University of Notre Dame Australia.
- 2015: Global Exercise Coordinator, GAP4 – INTERVAL-MCRPC: Movember Foundation
- 2015: National Exercise Coordinator, TrueNTH Australia: Movember Foundation
- 2015: DXA and pQCT Trainer, School of Medical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University
- 2015: Consultant Sport Scientist – West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Dockers, Western Force and Perth Glory
- 2018: ECU Human Research Ethics Committee – Edith Cowan University
- 2018: SuRECaP (Survivorship Research in Prostate Cancer) - PCR Working Group
- 2018: Section Editor (Exercise Oncology) - Journal of Sports Science and Medicine
- 2018: ASpSc and HPM Professional Standards Review, Exercise & Sport Science Australia – Australia
- 2018: Professional Development Review Committee, Exercise & Sport Science Australia – Australia
- 2017: Pre-Doctoral Research Sub-Committee, Cancer Council of Western Australia
- 2017: ALLY Network Representative - Equity and Diversity, Edith Cowan University
- 2016: Co-Chair, Protocol Amendment Review Committee, GAP4 – INTERVAL-MCRPC: Movember Foundation.
- 2016: Founding Member, Western Australian Bone Research Collaboration (WABRC).
- 2018: Guest Lecturer, Harvard Extension School, Harvard University.
- 2015 – 2018: Human Research Ethics Sub-Committee: SMHS and SOS, Edith Cowan University.
- 2014 – 2018: Exercise Science Advisory Group (ESAG), Exercise & Sport Science Australia – Australia
- 2015 – 2017: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Exercise Medicine Research Institute, Edith Cowan University.
- 2017 – 2017: NHMRC Grant Review Panel (GRP) Observer, Canberra, Australia.
- 2015 – 2016: Protocol Development Working Group (PDWG), GAP4 - INTERVAL-MCRPC: Movember Foundation.
- 2011 – 2014: Sport Scientist, Fremantle Dockers Football Club, Perth, Australia.
- 2010 – 2014: Sessional Exercise & Sport Science Staff, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia.
- 2008 – 2014: Research Assistant, Centre for Exercise & Sport Science Research, Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia.
- Exercise and Sport Science Australia – (ESSA)
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia – (COSA)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology – (ASCO)
- American College of Sports Medicine – (ACSM)
- Australian Strength and Conditioning Association – (ASCA)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association – (NSCA)
Awards and Recognition
National and International Awards
- 2018 – NHMRC CRE-PCS Mentorship Program Award, $4000 AUD.
- 2016 – NSCA Young Investigator Award (USA), Associate Investigator, 2016, $19,416 AUD.
- 2015 – Best Paper (Allied Health) – Prostate Cancer World Congress.
- 2015 – Inaugural Winner, Clinical Exercise Physiology Grant – Exercise and Sport Science Australia.
- 2014 – Exercise Scientist of the Year – Exercise and Sport Science Australia.
- 2013 – High Commendation, Sport Science Grant – Exercise and Sport Science Australia.
- 2018 – Nominee, ’40under40 Awards’ [Not for Profit], BusinessNews WA
- 2018 – Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2018-2020), Cancer Council Western Australia, $601,459 AUD.
- 2017 – Western Australian, Tall Poppy, Scientist of the Year Award - Australian Institute of Policy and Science.
- 2018 – Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) – EMCRN Research Achievement Award
- 2017 – Visiting Research Fellow Grant, School of Medical and Health Sciences, Edith Cowan University, $3,990 AUD.
- 2016 – Excellence by Early Career Researcher, Vice-Chancellor's Award, Edith Cowan University, $5,000 AUD.
- 2016 – eResearch Technology Funding Scheme, Edith Cowan University, 2016, $4,405 AUD.
- 2011 – Industry PhD Scholarship, Fremantle Dockers Football Club, 2012 – 2014, $78,000 AUD.
- 2009 – Top 5%, High Achievement Undergraduate Award, Edith Cowan University.
Research Areas and Interests
Exercise Oncology – Research Stream
- Exercise as Medicine.
- Modulation of Tumour Biology.
- Suppression of Bone Metastases.
- Musculoskeletal Preservation.
- Muscle-Bone Synergy.
Exercise Science – Research Stream
- Bone Adaptation to Mechanical Loading.
- Muscle-Bone Interactions for Musculoskeletal Health.
- Musculoskeletal Screening, Asymmetry and Injury Prevention.
- Gait Abnormality, Running Asymmetry and Injury Incidence.
- Change of Direction and Agility Performance.